Johanne Brouillette is an award winning Canadian abstract painter who has been living and working out of her studio located just North of Montréal for over 25 years.
Brouillette studied and painted figurative landscapes in oil for many years but chose to never exhibit or sell her artwork. She decided to attend an abstract workshop in 2016 and immediately found her new passion. She has since taken numerous workshops, specialized courses and residencies and continues to perfect her art to this day. Influenced by Automatistes painters such as Riopelle, Borduas and Ferron, she has found freedom of expression in abstraction pursued through automatism: an instinctive, unpremeditated form of creating art, and has developed her own distinctive style.
Johanne is a jury elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists, the Federation of Canadian Artists and Mondial Art Academia in France.
Her abstract paintings have been included in regional, national and international juried exhibits and have been awarded several prizes. Since 2016, she has participated in 5 solo and 45 group exhibitions. In 2019, her art appeared in the Art Edit section of House & Garden Magazine (UK) and was featured in Issue 15 of Spotlight Contemporary Art Magazine, in France. Selected by Folio Annual as one of the best emerging abstract artists of 2019, her artworks are to be published in their inaugural book in December.
Johanne Brouillette is represented by art galleries in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. Her works are in private and corporate collections throughout North America and Europe.
Having chosen to renounce from figurative painting a few years ago, I paint medium and large format abstracts in an expressionist and gestural style. My current body of work, begun in 2018, involves the exploration of using a limited palette and more recently a more vivid choice of colors.
I often begin by drawing a few graphite lines. Then my fascination with textures takes over. I use collage, gesso, wood ashes and plaster to create a roadmap on the canvas. Then the long journey begins. Similar to that of an archeologist, who searches, digs and uncovers things over and over again. As I begin to scrape back the materials I have just applied to the surface, they blend, mix, and change. It can take up to 15 or 20 layers of adding and subtracting to uncover the final painting.
For me, painting is much more than just shapes, lines or color. My works incorporate both intense raw emotion and quiet tranquility and are a reflection of my recent experiences at any given time. They help me to understand myself, my weaknesses, my strengths, my dreams, memories, desires and fears. They express this deep connection and dialogue we build with one another as they are brought to life. My purpose is to give voice to what is felt but unseen.
”I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.”
- Denison Art Gallery, Toronto, Ontario
- Claremont Art, England, United Kingdom
- Le Bourget Art Gallery, Montréal, Québec
- Galerie 806, Mont Tremblant, Québec
- Pauline T. Paquin Art Gallery, Saint-Sauveur, Québec
- Moberg Art Gallery, Iowa, United States
- 2019 – Group Christmas Show, Moberg Art Gallery, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2019 – Kicking Abstract and Taking Names , Moberg Art Gallery, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2020 – Entre nous deux, Place des Citoyens, Sainte-Adèle, Québec
- 2018 – Abstract Expressionism, Cailuan Art Gallery, Cornwall, Ontario
- 2018 – Notre point de vue n’est qu’une réalité, Gare de Piedmont
- 2017 – Regarde-moi, je suis là, St-Faustin Culture, Québec
- 2017 – Langage abstrait, St-Hippolyte Library, Québec
Jury Selected Exhibitions
- 2019 – Square Foot and Big Ideas Exhibition, Paula White Diamond Art Gallery, Waterloo, Ontario
- 2019 – 51st Juried Exhibition, Society of Canadian Artists, Viva Vida Art Gallery, Pointe-Claire, Québec
- 2019 – Vancouver Salon, Elected Members of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Canadian Federation Art Gallery, Vancouver, Bristish Columbia
- 2019 – Small Works Exhibition, Elected Members of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Canadian Federation Art Gallery, Vancouver, Bristish Columbia
- 2019, 2018 – Mascouche Arts Festival, Québec
- 2018 – 33e Visual Arts Exhibition, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines;
- 2019, 2018, 2017 – Expo-auction FASS art Saint-Sauveur, Galerie Rod;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-Concert in Mirabel;
- 2017 – Acquisition of permenant works for the city of Blainville, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2017 – Rendez-vous Art-thé, Salle polyvalente de la gare de Piedmont.
- 2018, 2019 – Annual Exhibit and Art Contest, ALPAP.
- 2017, 2018 – Annual Juried Exhibition, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2017, 2018 – Accessible Art, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016 – 2019 – Annual Art Exhibit, Blainville-art, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2016 – Exposition Un monde de couleurs, at the gallery l’Artiste in Montréal;
- 2016 – 5 couleurs, gare de Piedmont; and
- 2016 – Envolées artistiques de la Galerie ARTrium, Mirabel.
- 2019, Best Global Quality Abstract Art, Césure International Competition;
- 2019, Contempo Annual, Best emerging abstract and contemporary artists;
- 2018, The Gold brush at the Annual Exhibition in Mirabel;
- 2017, 3rd place at the Annual Exhibition at the St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016, 2nd place at the Annual Exhibition of Blainville-Art in 2016.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Federation of Canadian Artists, Active member (FCA)
- Society of Canadian Artists. Elected member (SCA)
- Mondial Art Academia, France (MAA)
- Laval Association for Plastic Arts (ALPAP)
- Blainville-Art, Professional Category (BVA)
- St-Faustin Arts and Culture Center
- Saint-Sauveur Artist Association (Saint-Sauv’Art)
- Folio Annual, Inaugural Edition, Best emerging abstract artists, December 2019
- Artsy Shark Summer Showcase Artist Feature, August 2019
- House & Garden (UK), Art Edit, June 2019
- Spotlight Magazine, France, July 2019
- Magazine Bonjour, Remax Laurentides – Spring/Summer 2019
- Journal Le Sentier, St-Hippolyte, May 2017
- Painting residency, Atelier Rod, Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Advanced contemporary painting courses (artistic approach) individual coaching with Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Contemporary art course with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Black and White with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Transparencies and Light with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Mixed media and drawing with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Visual expression and creativity workshops with artist Renée Noreau, St-Sauveur
- Abstract expression and movements workshop with artist Riverin, Pierrefonds
- Private oil painting classes with painter Raymond Roy, St-Hippolyte
- Avanced acrylic courses on canvas at the Petite École. St-Sauveur
- Workshops on Mixed media with Linda Lock, Vancouver
- Intensive acrylic workshop with artist Lise Auger, Sainte-Agathe
- Mixed media workshops with Denise Lefebvre, Sainte-Dorothée
- Acrylic painting on wood, Sainte-Dorothée
Corporate and Private Collections
- Throughout North America and Europe.
Would you like a painting signed by me with specific colors more closely resembling those of a particular room? Everything is possible! I can personalize your piece of art so that it matches your decor.
Please contact me by phone 450-821-9516 or e-mail at the following address: email@example.com@hotmail.com
Tax Depreciation for Acquisition of Artwork by Canadian Artist
Un particulier ou une société qui exploite une entreprise ou un bien et qui acquiert une œuvre d’art dont l’auteur est citoyen ou résident canadien pour l’exposer dans son lieu d’affaires peut amortir annuellement 33 1/3 % du coût d’acquisition de cette œuvre sur une base résiduelle.
Trying out a piece of Art
Are you hesitant to buy a piece of artwork because you are not sure if the piece will fit in the décor or space you envisioned. I understand that you want to be sure so I offer you the chance to have the piece delivered to your home to try it in the space!
Select your pieces and I will go and try them out for you and even hang them if necessary.
Certains conditions apply, communicate with me to get more details or to try out your pieces of art. Johanne.firstname.lastname@example.org or 450821-9516