Johanne Brouillette is a French Canadian abstract artist who has been painting just North of Montréal for over 25 years.
Brouillette studied and painted figurative landscapes in oil for many years but chose to never exhibit or sell her artwork. She decided to attend an abstract workshop in 2016 and immediately found her new passion. She has since taken numerous workshops, specialized courses and residencies and continues to perfect her art to this day. Influenced by Automatistes painters such as Riopelle, Borduas and Ferron, she has found freedom of expression in abstraction pursued through automatism: an instinctive, unpremeditated form of creating art, and has developed her own distinctive signature.
Johanne is a jury elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists, the Federation of Canadian Artists and Mondial Art Academia in France.
Her abstract paintings have been included in regional, national and international juried exhibits and have been awarded several prizes. Since 2016, she has participated in 5 solo and 45 group exhibitions. In 2019, her art appeared in the Art Edit section of House & Garden Magazine (UK) and was featured in Issue 15 of Spotlight Contemporary Art Magazine, in France. Selected by Folio Annual as one of the best emerging abstract artists of 2019, her artworks are to be published in their inaugural book in December.
Johanne Brouillette is represented by art galleries in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. Her works are in private and corporate collections throughout North America and Europe.
Having chosen to renounce from figurative painting a few years ago, my works are only a suggestion of the human figure or abstract territory. Driven towards the light, energy and ever changing colors found in nature and the feelings they evoke in me, they have become my sources of inspiration.
I will often start a painting by drawing a few charcoal lines. Then my fascination with textures takes over. I use paper, gesso, wood ashes and cement to create a ground on the canvas. Spontaneous gestures of acrylic paint while using large brushes and spatulas are applied all over the canvas. Although the initial lines may or may not remain in the final work, the energy of my initial gesture always remains. This energy drives me to continue my journey.
The journey is a long one, similar to that of an archeologist, who searches, digs and uncovers things over and over again. As I begin to scrape back the materials I have just applied to the surface, they blend, mix, and change. It can take up to 15 or 20 layers of adding and subtracting to uncover the final painting.
For me, painting is much more than just shapes, lines or color. Painting helps me to understand myself, my weaknesses, my strengths, my dreams, memories, desires and fears. My paintings express this deep connection and dialogue we build with one another as it is brought to life.
”I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.”
- Moberg Art Gallery, Iowa, United States
- Denison Art Gallery, Toronto, Ontario
- Claremont Art, England, United Kingdom
- Le Bourget Art Gallery, Montréal
- Galerie 806, Mont Tremblant
- Pauline T. Paquin Art Gallery, Saint-Sauveur
- 2019 – Kicking Abstract and Taking Names , Moberg Art Gallery, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2018 – Abstract Expressionism, Cailuan Art Gallery, Cornwall, Ontario
- 2018 – Notre point de vue n’est qu’une réalité, Gare de Piedmont
- 2017 – Regarde-moi, je suis là, St-Faustin Culture, Québec
- 2017 – Langage abstrait, St-Hippolyte Library, Québec
Jury Selected Exhibitions
- 2019 – Vancouver Salon, Canadian Federation Art Gallery, Vancouver, Bristish Columbia
- 2019 – Small Works Exhibition, Federation Art Gallery, Vancouver, Bristish Columbia
- 2019, 2018 – Mascouche Arts Festival, Québec
- 2018 – 33e Visual Arts Exhibition, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines;
- 2019, 2018, 2017 – Expo-auction FASS art Saint-Sauveur, Galerie Rod;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-Concert in Mirabel;
- 2017 – Acquisition of permenant works for the city of Blainville, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2017 – Rendez-vous Art-thé, Salle polyvalente de la gare de Piedmont.
- 2018, 2019 – Annual Exhibit and Art Contest, ALPAP.
- 2017, 2018 – Annual Juried Exhibition, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2017, 2018 – Accessible Art, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016 – 2019 – Annual Art Exhibit, Blainville-art, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2016 – Exposition Un monde de couleurs, at the gallery l’Artiste in Montréal;
- 2016 – 5 couleurs, gare de Piedmont; and
- 2016 – Envolées artistiques de la Galerie ARTrium, Mirabel.
- 2019, Best Global Quality Abstract Art, Césure International Competition;
- 2019, Contempo Annual, Best emerging abstract and contemporary artists;
- 2018, The Gold brush at the Annual Exhibition in Mirabel;
- 2017, 3rd place at the Annual Exhibition at the St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016, 2nd place at the Annual Exhibition of Blainville-Art in 2016.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Federation of Canadian Artists, Active member (FCA)
- Society of Canadian Artists. Elected member (SCA)
- Mondial Art Academia, France (MAA)
- Laval Association for Plastic Arts (ALPAP)
- Blainville-Art, Professional Category (BVA)
- St-Faustin Arts and Culture Center
- Saint-Sauveur Artist Association (Saint-Sauv’Art)
- Folio Annual, Inaugural Edition, Best emerging abstract artists, December 2019
- ArtsyShark Summer Showcase Artist Feature, August 2019
- House & Garden (UK), Art Edit, June 2019
- Spotlight Magazine, France, July 2019
- Magazine Bonjour, Remax Laurentides – Spring/Summer 2019
- Journal Le Sentier, St-Hippolyte, May 2017
- Painting residency, Atelier Rod, Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Advanced contemporary painting courses (artistic approach) individual coaching with Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Contemporary art course with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Black and White with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Transparencies and Light with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Mixed media and drawing with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Visual expression and creativity workshops with artist Renée Noreau, St-Sauveur
- Abstract expression and movements workshop with artist Riverin, Pierrefonds
- Private oil painting classes with painter Raymond Roy, St-Hippolyte
- Avanced acrylic courses on canvas at the Petite École. St-Sauveur
- Workshops on Mixed media with Linda Lock, Vancouver
- Intensive acrylic workshop with artist Lise Auger, Sainte-Agathe
- Mixed media workshops with Denise Lefebvre, Sainte-Dorothée
- Acrylic painting on wood, Sainte-Dorothée
Corporate, Public and Private Collections
- Throughout North America and Europe.
Would you like a painting signed by me with specific colors more closely resembling those of a particular room? Everything is possible! I can personalize your piece of art so that it matches your decor.
Please contact me by phone 450-821-9516 or e-mail at the following address: email@example.com@hotmail.com