Native of Montréal, Johanne has lived and painted in the Laurentians for close to 25 years.
Filled with a deep desire to explore, grow and try new things, Johanne studied with many renowned artists over the years. Creating has become both a passion as well as a necessity for her. She still to this day, continues to paint with other artists who stimulate her creativity and never ceases to continue learning and perfecting her art.
For many years she painted figurative paintings in both oil and acrylic. In 2015 she decided to try an abstract workshop. She immediately found a new passion. With the encouragement of her teacher, she participated in her first abstract exhibit in the summer of 2016. It was a great success and gave her the encouragement she needed to continue her exploration of abstract art.
Johanne is an elected member of the Society of Canadian Arists (SAC) as well as an active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists (FAC). She is also a member of several associations in Québec and in Europe. She has participated in over 30 solo and group exhibitions and has been awarded several prizes for her art*. Her three solo exhibitions impressed and touched many visitors and collectors.
Johanne is represented by Le Bourget Art Gallery in Montréal, The Pauline T. Paquin Art Gallery in Saint-Sauveur and Gallery 806 in Mont Tremblant.
Her works can be found in private, corporative and public collections throughout North America and Europe. Her paintings were featured in the Art Edit section of House & Garden Magazine in the United Kingdom (June 2019).
* Best Global Quality Abstract Art Prize – Cesure International Competition 2019, Best international emerging abstract artist, Contempo Annual 2019, The Gold brush at the Annual Exhibition in Mirabel in 2018, a 3rd place at the Annual Exhibition at the St-Faustin Culture Centre in 2017 and a 2nd place at the Annual exhibition of Blainville-Art in 2016.
Having chosen to renounce from figurative painting a few years ago, my works are only a suggestion of the human figure or abstract territory. Driven towards the light, energy and ever changing colors found in nature and the feelings they evoke in me, they have become my sources of inspiration.
I will often start a painting by drawing a few charcoal lines. Then my fascination with textures takes over. I use paper, gesso, wood ashes and cement to create a ground on the canvas. Spontaneous gestures of acrylic paint while using large brushes and spatulas are applied all over the canvas. Although the initial lines may or may not remain in the final work, the energy of my initial gesture always remains. This energy drives me to continue my journey.
The journey is a long one, similar to that of an archeologist, who searches, digs and uncovers things over and over again. As I begin to scrape back the materials I have just applied to the surface, they blend, mix, and change. It can take up to 15 or 20 layers of adding and subtracting to uncover the final painting.
For me, painting is much more than just shapes, lines or color. Painting helps me to understand myself, my weaknesses, my strengths, my dreams, memories, desires and fears. My paintings express this deep connection and dialogue we build with one another as it is brought to life.
”I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.”
Formation Professionnelle / Professional Development
- Painting residency, Atelier Rod, Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Advanced contemporary painting courses (artistic approach) individual coaching with Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Contemporary art course with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Black and White with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Workshop on Transparencies and Light with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Mixed media and drawing with artist Caroline Archambault, St-Sauveur
- Visual expression and creativity workshops with artist Renée Noreau, St-Sauveur
- Abstract expression and movements workshop with artist Riverin, Pierrefonds
- Private oil painting classes with painter Raymond Roy, St-Hippolyte
- Avanced acrylic courses on canvas at the Petite École. St-Sauveur
- Workshops on Mixed media with Linda Lock, Vancouver
- Intensive acrylic workshop with artist Lise Auger, Sainte-Agathe
- Mixed media workshops with Denise Lefebvre, Sainte-Dorothée
- Acrylic painting on wood, Sainte-Dorothée
- 2018 – Abstract Expressionism, Cailuan Art Gallery, Cornwall, Ontario
- 2018 – Exposition Notre point de vue n’est qu’une réalité. Gare de Piedmont
- 2017 – Exposition Regarde-moi, je suis là, St-Faustin Culture, Québec
- 2017 – Exposition Langage abstrait, St-Hippolyte Library, Québec
Jury Selected Exhibitions
- 2019 – Small Works Exhibition, Vancouver Arts Gallery, 1241 Cartwright, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia;
- 2018 – Mascouche Arts Festival;
- 2018 – 33e Visual Arts Exhibition, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-auction FASS art Saint-Sauveur, Galerie Rod;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-Concert in Mirabel;
- 2017 – Exposition Acquisition of permenant works for the city of Blainville, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2017 – Exposition duo, Rendez-vous Art-thé, Salle polyvalente de la gare de Piedmont.
- 2018, 2019 – Annual Exhibit and Art Contest, ALPAP.
- 2017, 2018 – Concours annuel, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2017, 2018 – Accessible Art, St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016 – 2019 – Annual Art Exhibit, Blainville-art, Blainville Art Gallery;
- 2016 – Exposition Un monde de couleurs, à la Galerie l’Artiste à Montréal;
- 2016 – Exposition with Renée Noreau, 5 couleurs, gare de Piedmont; and
- 2016 – Exposition Envolées artistiques de la Galerie ARTrium, Mirabel.
- 2019, Best Global Quality Abstract Art, Césure International Competition;
- 2019, Contempo Annual, Best emerging abstract and contemporary artists;
- 2018, The Gold brush at the Annual Exhibition in Mirabel;
- 2017, 3rd place at the Annual Exhibition at the St-Faustin Culture Centre;
- 2016, 2nd place at the Annual exhibition of Blainville-Art in 2016.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Federation of Canadian Artists, Active member (FCA)
- Society of Canadian Artists. Elected member (SCA)
- Mondial Art Academia, France (MAA)
- Laval Association for Plastic Arts (ALPAP)
- Blainville-Art, Professional Category (BVA)
- St-Faustin Arts and Culture Center
- Saint-Sauveur Artist Association (Saint-Sauv’Art)
- Le Bourget Art Gallery, Montréal.
- Galerie 806, Mont Tremblant.
- Pauline T. Paquin Art Gallery, Saint-Sauveur
- Contempo Annual, Inaugural edition, Best emerging abstract artists, December 2019
- House & Garden (UK), Art Edit, Juin 2019
- Spotlight Magazine, London, July 2019
- Magazine Bonjour, Remax Laurentides – Spring/Summer 2019
- Journal Le Sentier, St-Hippolyte, May 2017
Corporate, Public and Private Collections
- Throughout North America and Europe.
Would you like a painting signed by me with specific colors more closely resembling those of a particular room? Everything is possible! I can personalize your order so that it matches your decor. For those interested, here is what you need to do:
First of all, please tell me which kind of artwork you want and the size. All I need is a description of what you want by phone 450-821-9516 or e-mail at the following address: email@example.com@hotmail.com.
I will then send you a quote by e-mail including the cost and the approximate delivery date. If you agree, you can then send me an e-mail of pictures of your room with the colors you want.
I will then start creating your personalized one of a kind painting. When the painting is finished, I make sure it is shipped in suitable packaging for paintings on large canvas. There is no delivery charge for people residing in Québec. For those living outside the province, additional charges will be added to the bill depending on the destination.