Native of Montréal, Johanne has lived and painted in the Laurentians for close to 25 years.
Filled with a deep desire to explore, grow and try new things, Johanne studied with many renowned artists over the years. Creating has become both a passion as well as a necessity for her. She still to this day, continues to paint with other artists who stimulate her creativity and never ceases to continue learning and perfecting her art.
For many years she painted figurative paintings in both oil and acrylic. In 2015 she decided to try an abstract workshop. She immediately found a new passion. With the encouragement of her teacher, she participated in her first abstract exhibit in the summer of 2016. It was a great success and gave her the encouragement she needed to continue her exploration of abstract art.
Johanne is now a member of several associations in Québec, Canada and in Europe. She has participated in over 30 solo and group exhibitions and has been awarded several prizes for her art*. Her three solo exhibitions impressed and touched many visitors and collectors.
Johanne is represented by Le Bourget Art Gallery in Montréal, The Pauline T. Paquin Art Gallery in Saint-Sauveur and Gallery 806 in Mont Tremblant.
Her works can be found in private, corporative and public collections throughout North America and Europe. Her paintings have been featured in the Art Edit section of House and Garden Magazine in the United Kingdom (June 2019).
* The Gold brush at the Annual Exhibition in Mirabel in 2018, a 3rd place at the Annual Exhibition at the St-Faustin Culture Centre in 2017 and a 2nd place at the Annual exhibition of Blainville-Art in 2016.
Having chosen to renounce from figurative painting a few years ago, my works are only a suggestion of the human figure or abstract territory. Driven towards the light, energy and ever changing colors found in nature and the feelings they evoke in me, they have become my sources of inspiration.
I will often start a painting by drawing a few charcoal lines. Then my fascination with textures takes over. I use paper, gesso, wood ashes and cement to create a ground on the canvas. Spontaneous gestures of acrylic paint while using large brushes and spatulas are applied all over the canvas. Although the initial lines may or may not remain in the final work, the energy of my initial gesture always remains. This energy drives me to continue my journey.
The journey is a long one, similar to that of an archeologist, who searches, digs and uncovers things over and over again. As I begin to scrape back the materials I have just applied to the surface, they blend, mix, and change. It can take up to 15 or 20 layers of adding and subtracting to uncover the final painting. But what am I looking for?
Me. I am searching to find myself. For me, painting is much more than just shapes, lines or color. Painting helps me to understand myself, my weaknesses, my strengths, my dreams, memories, desires and fears. My paintings express this deep connection and dialogue we build with one another as it is brought to life. Each painting allows me to take baby steps towards understanding who I am.
There is no other way for me to create. Creating is a search for me. A quest to find my true identity. My paintings have enabled me to communicate to others what I cannot seem to say with words.
”I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.”
- 2018 – Painting Residency, Atelier Rod, Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2018, 2017 – Advanced Contemporary painting courses (personal coaching on artistic approach) with Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2017 – Complete Contemporary painting course with Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2016 – Instensive workshops on Black and White paintings with Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2016 – Intensive workshops on Light and transparencies with Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2016 – Weekly courses on drawing and mixed media techniques with Caroline Archambault, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2015 et 2016 – Creative expression workshops with Renée Noreau, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2015 – Guided workshop Abstract Expressions and dynamic movements with Agnès Riverin, Pierrefonds;
- 2007 à 2008 – Private oil painting classes with Raymond Roy in Saint-Hippolyte;
- 2006 – Advanced acrylic courses at la Petite École in Saint-Sauveur;
- 2002 à 2003 – Mixed media workshops with Denise Lefebvre, Sainte-Dorothée;
- 2001 – Specialized mixed media workshops with Linda Lock in Vancouver; and
- 1996 à 2001 –Acrylic painting classes at Pomme Cannelle in Prévost.
- April 2018 – Abstract Expressionism, Cailuan Art Gallery, Cornwall, Ontario.
- Novembre 2017 – Exposition Regarde-moi, je suis là, Maison de la culture de Saint-Faustin; et
- April 2017 – Exposition Langage abstrait, salle polyvalente de la bibliothèque de Saint-Hippolyte.
- July 2018 – Exposition Notre point de vue n’est qu’une réalité. Gare de Piedmont.
Selected Jury Exhibitions
- 2019 – Small Works Exhibition, Galerie d’art de Vancouver, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia;
- 2018 – Festival de la Peinture de Mascouche, Parc du Grand Coteau, Mascouche;
- 2018 – 33rd Visual Arts Exhibition in Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Centre Jean Guy Cardinal, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines;
- 2018 – Espace Galerie, EG Art Gallery Saint-Sauveur;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-auction FASS art de Saint-Sauveur, Galerie Rod, Saint-Sauveur;
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-Concert de Mirabel, Centre culturel Jean Guy Laurin;
- 2017 – Exhibit for the Acquisition by the city of Blainville for their permenant collection, Blainville art Gallery;
- 2017 – Exposition duo, Rendez-vous Art-thé, Salle polyvalente de la gare de Piedmont.
- 2019 – 50e Exposition du CAPSQ à l’Abbaye de Fontdouce, France (upcoming).
- 2019 – 51e Exposition du CAPSQ à La Galleria La Pigna Roma, Italy (upcoming).
- 2019, 2018, 2017 et 2016 – Expo-Concours annuelle de Blainville-art, Galerie d’art de Blainville;
- 2018 – Expo-Concours Annuelle des Arts, Centre d’art Sainte-Rose;
- 2018 – Art de mai, La fête, Association Lavalloise Pour les Arts Plastiques, Centre d’Art Sainte-Rose;
- 2018, 2017 – Concours annuel, Maison de la culture et des arts de Saint-Faustin;
- 2018, 2017 – Art Accessible, Maison de la culture et des arts de Saint-Faustin;
- 2016 – Exposition Un monde de couleurs, à la Galerie l’Artiste à Montréal;
- 2016 – Exposition d’un groupe de Renée Noreau,5 couleurs, à la salle polyvalente de la gare de Piedmont; et
- 2016 – Exposition Envolées artistiques de la Galerie ARTrium, L3 MAS Mirabel;
- 2018 – Gold Brush, Expo-Concours de Mirabel, Centre culturel Jean Laurin;
- 2017 – 3rd Prize, Maison des arts et de la culture de Saint-Faustin Annual Contest; et
- 2016 – 2nd Prize, Blainville-art Annual Contest, Blainville Art Gallery.
- Federation of Canadian Artists, Active (jury selected) (FAC).
- Societ of Canadian Artists (jury selected) (SAC).
- Mondial Art Academia, France (jury selected) (MAA).
- Association Lavalloise pour les Arts Plastiques (ALPAP).
- Association des artistes peintres de Blainville (BVA).
- Maison des arts et de la culture de Saint-Faustin.
- Association des artistes peintres de Saint-Sauveur (jury selected) (Saint-Sauv’Art).
- Conseil de la culture des Laurentides (CCL).
- Cercle des Artistes Peintres du Québec (CAPSQ).
- Regroupement des artistes de Rosemère (RAR).
- House and Garden Magazine, UK, Art Edit, June 2019.
- Spotlight Magazine July 2019.
- Magazine Bonjour, Remax Laurentides – Spring/Summer 2019.
Corporate, Public and Private Collections
Throughout North America and Europe.
- 2017 – Committee member and organiser of The Expo-Concert de Mirabel.
- 2018, 2017 – Expo-auction FASS art of Saint-Sauveur (selected by a jury).
- 2018 – Encan ALPABEM Laval.
- 2018 – Centre Portage (several works, selected by a jury).